London, May 12, 2012
Capitol Hill in Washington was rocked late last month when the Senate Appropriations Committee approved an amendment requiring the State Department, for the first time, to do a “count” of Palestinian refugees.
Yes, count is very well, but what is meant by this new amendment??!
Of course, the amendment required the State Department to specify how many of the five million Palestinians who receive aid from the United Nations Relief and Works Agency are refugees who were personally displaced from their homes in 1948, and how many are descendants of those refugees.
This means that most Palestinian refugees will stop receiving relief helps from the UNRWA. Why? Because most of the refugees who deserve helps from the UNRWA, according to the new amendment, have died.
- Israel lobby’s favorite senator tries to erase Palestinian refugee status for millions (mondoweiss.net)
- US Senate dramatically redefines definition of Palestinian ‘refugees’ (timesofisrael.com)
- State Department Backs UNRWA Definition Of Palestinian Refugees – Contrary To US Law (ifaynsh.wordpress.com)
- How the Israel Lobby’s Favorite Senator Is Trying to Erase Palestinian Refugees (alternet.org)
- In a first, U.S. declares 5 million Palestinians to be refugees: report (dailystar.com.lb)
- US to differentiate between ‘personally displaced’ Palestinian refugees and their descendants (mondoweiss.net)
- The U.S Senate fight today over Palestinian ‘refugees’ (windowintopalestine.blogspot.com)